Paul holds a Bachelor of Arts degree from Carleton University and an Honors Diploma in Addictions Counselling. He is also a Canadian Certified Addictions Counsellor (CCAC) with the Canadian Addiction Counsellors Certification Federation. As well as certified in Non-Violent Conflict Resolution and Suicide Prevention Intervention.
Over the past 15 years, he has been fortunate to have acquired tremendous experience as a front-line addictions counsellor in a variety of treatment settings including the following:
- Clinical Director at a private residential treatment centre (Recovery Works Victoria)
- Case Manager at a private non-profit residential treatment centre (Newgate 180 Ottawa)
- Case Manager at a large full-scale residential treatment centre (Edgewood Nanaimo)
- Substance Abuse Counsellor in the Ottawa High School system
- Case Manager and Relapse Prevention Coordinator in the Ottawa Drug Court treatment program
- Case manager in an outpatient treatment setting (Edgewood Victoria and Pegasus Victoria)
- Professor at Algonquin College in Ottawa – Trauma and Addictions Program
- Case Manager and Group Facilitator for Canadian Armed Forces personnel (Victoria)
He is a recovering addict. As such, he draws on his personal experience from both active addiction and a life in recovery in order to fully understand and appreciate the challenges facing those with whom he works. The culmination of his education, personal and professional experiences, augmented by his ability to connect with people on a meaningful level, has allowed him to help others succeed on their path to recovery.
He believes in a holistic yet customised approach to counselling. Although the disease of addiction is predictable, every addict is unique. With Paul, people will work on a treatment plan that is tailored to them